Welcome to First Presbyterian Church!
Hello, I am Rev. Jonathan Mitchell, Pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Maryville. You will find some information below regarding me and my family. I hope the tidbits encourage you to come and see me in person. I look forward to meeting you.
I grew up in Walla Walla, WA with three older sisters. Walla Walla is a town of about 35,000 people in Southeast Washington. It was fun growing up in a relatively small town with many friends in the neighborhood. We spent most of our summers as children riding our bikes and building forts.
I am married to Jana, and we have two daughters. Ellice attends Northwest Missouri State University, and Lydia attends Maryville High School. Ellie enjoys exploring possible career paths and activities like band in her early years of college. Lydia loves to play soccer at Maryville High School.
· Attended Westmont College in Santa Barbara, CA, 1986-1988
· B.A. in History and Secondary Education, Seattle Pacific University, 1991
· M. Div. Princeton Theological Seminary, 2006
Over the years, I have had a number of jobs. Each occupation has provided invaluable experience in ministry.
· Originally, I taught secondary education at a number of schools in Seattle, WA, Lewiston, ID, and Walla Walla, WA.
· For six years I worked at the Housing Authority in Walla Walla. At the Housing Authority, I managed a number of low-income housing programs.
· After working at First Presbyterian Church in Walla Walla as a volunteer, I became very interested in pursuing full-time ministry. To make a long story short, I applied to seminary, got accepted, and we moved to New Jersey.
· My first pastoral call was to First Presbyterian Church of Idaho Falls, ID. I served as the Associate Pastor of Christian Education and Families. During this time, I also served as the Pastor of Community Presbyterian Church in Saint Anthony, ID.
· Now, I am the pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Maryville, MO. The people of the church and community are amazingly friendly and open. My family and I have been blessed everyday that we have been here.
We are blessed to be part of what God is doing in the community of Maryville. As the pastor, it is exciting to note some of the unique things about this community of faith. First, the people here are warm and friendly. I can honestly sat that there is a genuine sense of family at FPC. The atmosphere is derived from the congregation's deep love for god and doing god's work in our community. We are far from perfect, but we work together to make FPC and the community
of Maryville a place where God’s love in known.
The second distinguishing mark of FPC is a deep concern for the people in the Maryville area. The worship services
are open and friendly to all. We are actively involved in the Ministry Center, which assists low-income families. And
we operate and manage Shepherd’s Kitchen. Each Thursday, FPC serves a free meal for the entire community. People
from many different backgrounds and walks of life enjoy the meal.
Finally, everything FPC does is designed to glorify God. We have experienced God’s grace in a powerful way, and
we want to share it with those around us. We would love to have you join us and share some of our experiences. Feel
free to come to worship or any of our activities. If you would simply like to talk to someone, I would love to meet you
on an individual basis. May God bless you and all your endeavors.
Grace and peace,
Pastor Jonathan E. Mitchell
Merlin and Kay Atkins
Pastor Jonathan Mitchell and family